Is your home winter-proof?
With the year coming to an end and winter just around the corner we can start to expect colder, wetter, stormier weather conditions instead of the brighter, warmer days of summer.
This makes it a good time of year to assess how well protected your home and possessions are against the potential damage winter may cause. Take action now and ensure you have the relevant home insurance, check your property over and make a plan to protect it against bad weather.
The following preventative measures can go a long way towards avoiding the misery and inconvenience that damage to your home can bring:
- To protect your pipes and water tank
– Check the lagging, including in the loft
– Leave your central heating running at a constant temperature (the coldest time is between 1am and 3am). If possible, leave it running in all rooms.
- Use draft excluders and seal around window and door frames to block out cold air and keep hot air in, helping to maintain the temperature through the coldest periods.
- Tie down or safely store any outdoor furniture to avoid damage from high winds. You can also check roof tiles and any dead or broken branches on nearby trees which could cause damage.
Check your current insurance
Dig out those certificates of cover and policy documents and check your cover levels. You should review your cover at least once a year, to check it still meets your needs. We can help you understand what you’re covered for - and what you aren’t. While buying home insurance may feel like an expensive chore, it’s critical to ensure it meets your needs and expectations. If you don’t fully understand your policy exclusions (such as accidental damage), you may find that you are not fully covered.
If you’d like to review your existing buildings and contents insurance, please get in touch. Call KBA on 01942 265866.